As your WordPress website grows, it will, unfortunately, start slowing down with the publication of new content and the installation of additional WordPress plugins. Even a fresh WordPress platform installation will suffer from poor performance during high-traffic spikes or if you’re using a low-quality web host.
Using a Caching Plugin for WordPress is a crucial element in assessing the overall efficiency of a website as it dynamically produces HTML pages – by adding PHP code alongside MySQL database queries. Your WordPress site can be orders of magnitude faster if it is necessary. This helps prevent duplication and speeds the site’s load time.
Now, do you want your WordPress website powered up? One of the easiest ways to ensure your website loads faster is to use a caching feature on your website.
What is a Cache Plugin?
Depending on the setup, the caching plugin instructs the server to store certain files to the disk or RAM. So it can recall and repeat the same material it has served in the past. As a consequence, it loads your web pages much quicker, straight from the cache. Using a cache plugin effectively reduces the amount of work needed to create a view of a website.
The pages and articles on your site do usually not alter much after they are released unless you redesign or update content. That is why the caching plugin builds a static version of your web page, which it provides to your visitors with. Meaning, they’ll see a cached version when a visitor returns to your site to view it again.
Some good examples of cache plugins are:
Why do you need a Caching Plugin for WordPress?
When talking about page speed, it can be a major problem if the website takes longer than 2 seconds to completely load. A website that loads too slow may cause severe loss – most website owners lose their loyal customers simply because the pace of loading their website is not satisfactory. Not only will it increase your bounce rate significantly but it will also affect your standing SERPs.
Caching plugins for WordPress help to make the website faster and improve the user experience. Any time they access a page on your website, the content is dynamically created with lots going on in the background, including numerous queries about the database and code executions.A caching plugin for WordPress will build a static version of your page which removes many of the steps that occur when a page is dynamically created. To boost your WordPress pace and efficiency you need a proper caching system.
Below is a test we’ve conducted on our own website to show the difference between a server with cache plugin enabled and disabled. We can see that the page loading time is much faster on a server with the cache plugin enabled.
Litespeed Web Server
A web server includes several sections, at least one HTTP server, which governs how web users access the hosted files. These servers can be accessed through the domain names of websites it stores, and delivers their content to the end-user’s device.
There are mainly four types of web servers – Apache, IIS, Nginx and LiteSpeed. For this article, I will briefly explain the Litespeed Web Server since this is what you need to use the LiteSpeed Cache Plugin and enjoy its full potential.
Litespeed is a web server that is known for providing excellent performance and higher scalability. It comprises impressive features and user-friendly web administration console that ensures a safe and fast web hosting environment. LiteSpeed is a drop-in replacement for Apache with .htaccess file support.
Benefits of Litespeed Web Server
LiteSpeed is a lightweight server software that maintains resources without sacrificing performance, protection, reliability, or convenience. Below are its top benefits:
- Instant replacement for Apache – If you have Apache running on your web servers and want to substantially speed them up, then LiteSpeed is the perfect option for you. The transition is smooth and easy. It takes a few minutes to switch from Apache to the LiteSpeed web server, and 2-3 seconds to get your websites loaded using LiteSpeed.
- Built-in Cache Engine – it is important to cache your content to speed up the loading time especially if you have tons of static texts and images. LiteSpeed Web Server’s cache engine is in-built into the server core and for WordPress purposes, it has its own LSCache plugin, preventing you from installing a third-party cache plugin. With its help, you receive optimization for the pages, images, CSS, and a CDN integration.
- Security Protection – LiteSpeed has its own security features which will come handy when your web site gets a DoS or DDoS attack. It protects the most vulnerable xmlrpc.php and wp-login.php files. It also moves the Security Captcha from the application level to the server level and prevents unwanted login attempts by automatically blocking IP addresses, and many other features.
- Excellent web performance – LiteSpeed will give you the additional amount of performance and efficiency to make your uptime better, your server is not busy and visitors don’t get lost. It gives great performance out of the box without much configuration.
- Lower hardware expenses – You should pay $10 to $36 a month for a LiteSpeed license, instead of hundreds of dollars to add more software that can support a load of visitors to your website. Moreover, Additionally, LiteSpeed offers other advantages, such as your website’s enhanced protection and speed. The web server LiteSpeed will also the device management costs since it provides technical support 24/7.
Developed by LiteSpeed Technologies, WordPress plugin LiteSpeed Cache provides a lot of features to your website that enable you to have greater control on your web caching and speed configurations. Take note that you can only use this plugin on a Litespeed web server. This allows you to increase and maximize its pace on several levels.
The plugin LiteSpeed Cache for WordPress (LSCWP) helps to boost the performance of WordPress sites by taking full advantage of the built-in page cache of the LiteSpeed web server. The cache page stores content from dynamically generated pages, which allows for faster user load times.
All-in-One Acceleration Solution
This is a free, open-source plugin for WordPress. It integrates with your LiteSpeed Web Server software and the built-in LSWS web cache to significantly minimize page load times.
LSCWP is an all-in-one site optimization system with advanced cache management software and optimisation functionality. This is the only plugin for optimization which you will ever need. Your website can use the best practices that make it possible to achieve a high PageSpeed score and, more importantly, an improved user experience.
LSCWP is easy to install, and its default settings are suitable for most websites. The plugin does, however, have a robust user interface that allows you to configure a wide variety of settings if you wish.
- LiteSpeed Cache
A wide range of options plus the exclusive features of LiteSpeed make this one of the best option for WordPress caching, along with the full integration with Cloudflare makes this a caching plugin that you should really make use of!
LiteSpeed Cache plugin offers a large variety of options that you can use to optimize your website such as:
- DB Optimization
- CDN, General
- Cache and many other optimization options.
Image and Page Optimization
The LiteSpeed Cache plugin also includes powerful tools for Image and Page Optimization, which you all have the control of. Image Optimization provides its own convenient dashboard, where you can see the details about how well the images are configured on the website.
To force the purging process over a website, message, any numbers errors, or using the Purge All option, you can use “purge” options. For example, is that it forces the selected post to display its latest version instead of any of the previous cached releases.
Purge is available and can be used on the author list, on the post-type, and it also provides options to be omitted from different URLs if you wish to, all over your website.
Database, Crawler, and Toolbox
You can easily check the status of certain forms of data stored on your website in the section Database and clean up all article revisions or spam comments in one click.
LSCache provides a Crawler that is used to scan the backend of your website for expired pages, to update them in the process. The Toolbox has all kinds of options for instant optimization and other advanced settings.
Db Optimizer stands for Database Optimizer and is the technique for detecting unnecessary data from your website. This offers a variety of choices like:
- Clean All
- Post Revisions
- Trash Posts
- Spam Comments and others, but if you’re not really familiar with the databases, we suggest using the first “Clean All” option.
In the LiteSpeed Cache plugin’s Configuration portion, you can have more access to all the configuration you need to customize your cache in any way possible. Tap on the “Advanced View” button to see all of the parts and it will extend to more settings.
Plugin General Features
LSCache Plugin Key Features:
- Image Optimization (Lossless/Lossy)
- Minify inline CSS/JS
- Combine CSS/JS
- Load CSS/JS Asynchronously
- Browser Cache
- Automatically create Critical CSS
- Lazyload pictures/iframes
- Responsive Image Placeholders
- Multiple CDN support
- Free QUIC.cloud CDN Cache
- Object Cache (Memcached/LSMCD/Redis)
Maintaining a WordPress website is hard enough as it is so it can leave you so your guests underwhelmed and frustrated when the end result doesn’t work the way you wanted it to be. You can rest assured with the LiteSpeed Cache plugin that slow website loading speed will be removed. It’s a wonderful asset to your WordPress plugin library, which is not only a quality product but also free downloadable.
With any WordPress site, the use of a caching plugin is very necessary, and LiteSpeed Cache is a great option that offers several different possibilities with optimization. Make sure you are vigilant when changing the optimization choices and you can still stick to the simple option modifications if you don’t feel advanced enough.