Have you been dreaming about starting a site with membership? You will be placed in full charge of your sales by operating a subscription or membership site. There’s no reason to worry about losing a big contract, moving elsewhere to market a different commodity by a big distributor, or any variety of other stuff you need to think about with other income streams.
What is a Membership Site?
During the last few years, membership sites have become incredibly popular. Using their website to help expand, engage, and attract their members, the most popular membership organizations save time and money on administrative work. Bloggers and other online influencers found that they needed to charge for their expertise if they wanted to earn a respectable income.
Here’s an easy way to explain what you’re doing if you’re trying to set up a membership platform. The following are the most common tasks you need to do:
- Register new members and guests for activities,
- Monthly fees, gifts, and event payments are collected,
- Member Profiles Update,
- Email participants with invitations, reminders, and monthly newsletters for activities,
- Distribute tools such as courses, reports on business, and other content,
- If members have concerns, or need support, serve as the contact person.
Those mentioned above can be achieved through a membership site. That’s because members can insert information into it such as contact details or payments), and then the platform talks with a contact database to automatically update their information.
Are you trying to turn your WordPress website into a completely functioning platform for membership? To build a better forum, selecting the right WordPress membership plugin is important. A membership plugin is intended to help you build memberships and then offer content access to these members.
We’ll share with you the membership plugins for WordPress in this article so that you can make an educated decision that fits your specific needs.
Top 8 Membership Plugins for WordPress websites
Let’s compare the top wordpress membership plugins so you can decide which one is the right choice for your site.
MemberPress is a WordPress all-in-one membership plugin that makes it easy to turn your WordPress website into a functional membership site.
You can build an infinite number of memberships with MemberPress and configure them including the pricing, membership, and how long the trial period for a member would last.
The plugin also permits the restriction of content. Actually, you can limit the content in many different ways. Links to whole categories, posts or pages, certain sections of posts or pages, or even individual files may be limited.
You can use MemberPress for content dripping as well. On whatever schedule you want to keep members involved, it helps you to drip information.
- Ridiculously Easy Setup
- Powerful Access Rules
- MemberPress is a WordPress Membership and LMS plugin. Easily Build & Sell Courses
- Generate Coupons
- Premium Community Forums
- Works With Any Theme
- Clear & Relevant Reporting
- Simple Payment Gateway Integration
- Full Blown Subscription Management
Another famous membership plugin is Restrict Content Pro. It comes from the same developer as the plugins for Quick Digital Downloads and AffiliateWP, which should give you confidence that it will be around for the long term and currently have a good and established relationship with their customers.
The admin interface is well built and it blends right into the WordPress admin area’s appearance, providing a smooth backend integration. It is very easy to use Restrict Content Pro and there is useful documentation shown on the configuration pages to ensure that you can get started immediately.
Restrict Content Pro allows you the power to restrict access in a variety of different ways to your content. Based on the membership level, you can limit access to individual posts or use categories and tags to limit access.
- Create unlimited subscription levels
- Customer dashboard allows your customers to view and manage their account details
- Sell an unlimited number of digital products
- Accept payments with Stripe, Braintree, 2Checkout, PayPal Website Payments Pro, and PayPal Standard, and Express.
- Prorated upgrades and downgrades
- Flexible content restriction schedules like content dripping, option to limit access to previous content, option to hard-set an expiry date
AMember is a robust membership plugin that was created in PHP but allows WordPress to be incorporated. One of the downsides of using aMember as your membership plugin is that you can encounter compatibility problems with other plugins for WordPress.
This plugin comes with unlimited levels of membership, 200+ payment options like PayPal and Stripe, full-featured membership management, and a lot more.
A Member Pro also requires a full field of member management. You may add, uninstall, and edit members as well as their subscriptions from here. There’s an admin area also where you can access data and comprehensive reports.
- Unlimited membership levels and items
- Content dripping
- Integrations for Stripe, PayPal, ClickBank, 2Checkout and more.
- Option to select fallback payment processors in case the first one fails
- Coupon codes
- Automated member sign ups and expirations
- Integrated modules including email newsletter, help desk, and affiliate management
- File protection (in addition to just restricting content)
Paid Memberships Pro is an ideal choice that won’t cost you anything to get started with. This is a free membership plugin that you can start using today to limit access to selected users of the content on your WordPress site. Two premium plans are also available that offer you access to loads of paid add-ons.
With flexible payment terms, Paid Memberships Pro also allows you to build unlimited membership levels. You may select a price, recurring billing cycle, term of membership, and specify periods of free or discounted trials.
Paid Memberships Pro applies a metabox to your posts/pages to limit content, which enables you to restrict them on an individual level. You can also opt to exclude whole categories as well.
- Management of unlimited members
- Navigation menu filter, members see only what their access level allows
- Accept payments with PayPal Pro, PayPal Express Checkout, and Stripe
- Globally restrict access to content based on post type, taxonomy, and terms
- Content dripping with timed release of access
- Discount codes to run promotions or to reward the members for their membership level upgrades
- Multiple subscriptions per user
If you’re searching for the best 2020 WordPress membership plugin for free, it could be s2Member. It’s loaded with features for your free plugin. With this plugin, you can limit content by categories, post forms, and posts or pages, like the other WordPress membership plugins in this guide. Unique content snippets inside blogs, specific URL fragments, file downloads, media streaming and BuddyPress can also be limited.
You may also employ IP restrictions and get custom login welcome pages, a range of email templates, and strong security if that is not enough. Very Impressive for a free plugin.
You’ll get access to one of the most robust membership plugins on the market with the pro version. Features such as content dripping, user roles, 1-step registration and checkout, unlimited paid membership levels, and a lot more are included in S2Member.
- Easy-to-accept recurring payments
- Includes PayPal integration in Framework version
- Stripe, ClickBank, PayPal Pro, and Authorize.net integrations are available in Pro
- Coupon codes and coupon code tracking
- Gift certificate codes
- Customizable pro-form templates
One of the most feature-rich membership plugins is MemberMouse.
MemberMouse allows you to build all levels of membership and packages. Membership levels are what you would expect from any membership plugin, but packages allow you to sell individual posts/pages on a one-off basis or groups of posts/pages.
MemberMouse lets you drip your minimal content out of it. They have this very cool feature that allows members to experience your program. Basically, to easily see stuff for your new subscribers you can manually adjust how “old” your test account is.
It also contains a widget that allows subscribers to see what material they have access to, and what is yet to come with restricted content.
- Customer management
- Self-configuring checkout
- International currency
- Group functionality
- Tools to prevent unauthorized account sharing
- Prorated upgrades
- Social media integration, and many others
WooCommerce Memberships is a plugin for WooCommerce that lets you restrict the selling of goods and services on your eCommerce site to registered users. But since you’ll have to use WooCommerce Subscriptions to allow recurring payments on your platform, it’s not an all-in-one solution. It does however, grant you the ability to build locked content and objects.
You can tap into all the many features and extensions of WooCommerce, including coupons, discounts, subscriptions, packs, upsells, etc, by using WooCommerce as the basis for handling payments.
You can choose to limit any form of content, and choose to drop members’ content based on groups, tags, individual posts or sites, and projects.
- Versatility to create various types of memberships.
- Easily plan when members see you as part of a drip campaign with content.
- Member Rewards.
- Easy Member Management
- Ability to export member data to email marketing software and connect with members by sharing notes you have made.
Another free WordPress membership plugin is WP-Members. Since you’ll almost definitely need additional functionalities to improve your membership website. But they’re still pretty affordable with paid extensions.
WP-Members operates in comparison to the other plugins by default. WP-Members limits all of your content instead of limiting that content. Then, you mark the material that you want to be open to everyone. This setting can be reversed. By design, that’s how it operates.
Custom registration and login forms unique to your membership site are also easy to add with WP-Members. These tools can be used to generate unique URLs for your registration page, which is perfect for your ads to serve as a landing page.
- Restrict or hide posts, pages, and custom post types
- Limit menu items to logged in users
- User login, registration, and profile integrated into your theme
- Create custom registration and profile fields
- Notify admin of new user registrations
- Hold new registrations for admin approval
- Create post excerpt teaser content automatically
- Shortcodes for login, registration, content restriction, and more
- Create powerful customizations with more than 120 action and filter hooks
With free and paid high-quality services available, anyone can start providing limited access content to their members and subscribers on their website. You should be able to set up your site in a very short time using one of these wordpress membership plugins, whether you want to create a public community, educational website and others.
Although the plugins above only reflect a brief summary of the many WordPress membership resources out there, they should be enough for the needs of most users. Unfortunately, no one size suits all the best membership plugins for wordpress, as while all possibly the best apps are the above, they have their own strengths and disadvantages.
It’s a good idea to be transparent before making a choice about exactly how you want to handle the area of your members and what functionality you’ll need, such as content dripping, course delivery, recurring payments, ease of use, personalized landing pages and others. When you know your criteria, it will be much simpler to make a decision.